Friday 13 February 2009

Impressions of France

I received a questionnaire, this week, from the site www.expatica.com asking about my impressions of France. The first question asked for my first impressions, not easy to answer after 8 years of living here. A lot of water has passed under the bridge and my vision is affected by hindsight. However, I do remember being struck by the beauty of the Alps. Today, the mountains have become a banal feature of my daily commute to work. What about the food? the questionnaire demanded. Of course, like all foreigners, I enjoy French food, even snails! What has struck me though, is despite French mocking of English cooking, our two countries have a lot in common. The French 'boudin' is just a version of English black pudding. When my French in-laws describe raising, and then killing their own pig in the back garden in Normandy, I could be listening to my Grandmother describing rural life in Leicstershire. It is true, the French have a greater respect for their food than the English, and fast food isn't so prevalent, but our traditions are the same.
What would I like to change about France? Well, it seems that the changes I would like are already taking place. France, and the French, are very proud of themselves. They have the best public service, education and health. Many French never set foot outside the country as, according to one of my first students, they have everything in France. We all know their food is the best, etc, etc. However, today the French are beginning to realise that they are part of a global system, and that their are other models, and they could learn from them. The transformation will be painful, and centuries of tradition will have to be swept aside but the result will be better for all of us.

No comments: