Sunday 18 September 2011

Paragliding over the Alps

Paragliding, or 'Parapente' as its known here in France, is a very popular sport in around Grenoble.  The most popular site is St Hilaire de Touvet.  Almost every weekend paragliders can be seen circling over the valley, after having them hurled themselves off the cliff.  In late september a festival of flight (Coupe Icare) is held here, with all types of flying machines present.  The highlight, however, is the fancy dress days when paragliders dressed in fancy dress costume can be seen in the skies.
Another popular spot for this sport is the Collet d'Allevard, just ten minutes from my house.  I have often watched the paragliders as they drift over the mountains and imagined what it must feel like.  A couple of years ago, I paid for my wife to take a flight with an instructor and she loved it.  She then offered to pay for me to do a flight, but I always found a reason not to.
Then finally last weekend I decided to take the plunge.  The sky was clear blue, but it was a little windy.  While my family waited at the landing site, I jumped into a van and we roared off up the mountain.  My fellow passengers were all paragliding students who were beginning their solo flights.  I would have to wait while they all launched, before the instructor would strap himself to me and we could fly.  The first thing I noticed was that despite the sun everyone had a fleece jacket and I did not.
The van pulled up next to a field that contained a small windsock.  The paragliders jumped out and shouldered their paragliding bags.  They looked like turtles as they filed into the field.  The sails were laid out in arcs in the field and the process of separating the lines attaching the sails to the backpacks began.  I soon understood that waiting around was a big part of paragliding.  After equipment checks, the paragliders had to wait their turn to jump, and when their turn came they had to wait for the right moment when there was just enough wind, but not too much.  You have to be patient.
Unfortunately, after a 30 minute wait, the last two students were unable to fly as the wind had become too strong.  So I was a little surprised when the instructor told me to get ready, apparently despite the strong wind we would still be flying.  I was a little nervous but he told me as we would be heavier it shouldn't be a problem.  Once the sail was ready I stood in front of him and he attached me.  After a couple of instructions, we stepped forward the sail inflated then he shouted 'run'.  I took a couple of steps before we were airborne, we rose over the trees and I was able to sit back and admire the view.
I was surprised to discover my nerves had disappeared faced with the spectacle before me.
The instructor didn't say much, he just let me enjoy the fabulous view of my alpine home.  It was quite breathtaking and we were even able to see Mont Blanc.  I must have seemed too relaxed as my instructor decided to perfome some acrobatics, just to show me what was possible.  Never a fan of rollercosters I was glad when he stopped and we came in to land.
All in all it was a great expereince and interesting to see my home from another angle but I don't think I'll be taking up the sport.



No comments: