Monday 21 November 2011

Protest

I'm going to break a rule about not using my blog for political comment, but something strange is happening in France.  France has a reputation for protesting, 'the French like to râler', I've been told many times.  They are even proud of their ability to take to the streets at the drop of a hat.  It was in France that I had my first ever whiff of tear gas, as students protested outside the Chamber of Commerce.  I was inside teaching English to business men, and the building was guarded by riot police.  Exciting times, and I have lived in Nigeria.
But now that the Euro is under threat; our governments use our money to save the banks, and unelected technocrats replace our politicans, it's left to the Americans to occupy Wall Street and the British to occupy the City.  The French are surprisingly quiet.  I can't explain why, and I don't understand.  My students mock the British for being so meek and standing in line.
Meanwhile, I've created two petitions in response to the British governments e-petition initiative.  Who knows if they will do any good, but at least I don't feel like I'm doing nothing.  I urge you to sign them if your a Brit.

The first is against the scandal of Vulture Funds: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23302

The second is against Child Labour in the Malawian tobacco fields: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23304

Thanks in advance, maybe through the pen we can make this world a better place.

No comments: