Monday 22 February 2016

Britexit

I was very disappointed to discover that if one has lived outside the UK for more than fifteen years you are ineligible to vote in the referendum on British exit of the European Union.  February was my fifteenth anniversary of living in France. 
What would I vote, if given the opportunity?  Probably against Britain leaving Europe.  I have personally benefited from the European Union and would feel like a hypocrite voting to leave.  As a student I had the opportunity to study in Europe under the Erasmus program.  Later when my studies were over,  I Interrailed around Europe passing national borders without difficulty.  Then I met a French woman and moved to France in 2001.  I was able to quickly and, fairly, easily start work and set up home.  All this thanks to British membership (with numerous opt outs) of the European Union.  How could I vote for Britain to leave Europe and deny the same opportunities to future generations?
In my opinion too much emphasis has been put on the economic consequences of European Union at the expense of the cultural and social benefits, but then again I have never really understood Economics.  I think that the European Union is a brave experiment.  Of course it is never going to be easy getting diverse cultures and languages to live together.  But surely trying to live and work together is better than the centuries of war that raged in Europe before. 
So I am disappointed that I can not vote in this referendum, but I console myself with the feeling that the presence of Britain in Europe is so important that the British people will vote to stay.  And anyway nothing will change for me personally.  A few years ago I took French nationality, careful to ensure I could also keep my British nationality.  I also registered my childrens' births in the UK, giving them the chance to choose their nationality later.  I did this partly to enable me to vote in French national elections, but also partly because I always suspected that Britain might try to leave the European Union.  At least with dual nationality I might avoid any bureaucratic problems of being a foreign national living in France.

No comments: